Ongoing Maintenance Tips For Your Timber Decking
An outdoor timber deck is a beautiful addition to any Perth home; however it does require ongoing maintenance to help retain its natural condition. The hot Perth sun, together with our inconsistent weather, means that your timber decking will take a hammering. This is all the more reason why you should look after you decking properly.
Here are some of our helpful tips for maintenance of your decking in Perth:
- Keep your Perth decking relatively clean all year round.
- Clean up debris and spills as soon as you find them.
- Use a soft fibre broom for sweeping; this will help remove dust, leaves and cobwebs. If this doesn’t work, washing your deck down with water should do the trick.
- DO NOT use detergents; they could affect the look of your Perth decking.
- DO NOT use a steam mop because this can create moisture in the timber, causing it to warp.
- DO NOT use solvents like Acetone, Turps, Nail polish remover etc.
- Using floor mats at entry points of your decking, helps to remove grit and dirt from shoes.
- During winter in Perth, try to remove the pools of water after it rains to help avoid water stains.
- Apply protective padding under furniture to minimise scratches.
- After you have properly cleaned the decking in your Perth home, you should lightly sand the decking and then reseal it with varnish, oil or stain. If your decking looks to be fading or fine cracks are appearing, this is an obvious sign your perth decking requires recoating.
- Make sure to tighten any loose boards and replace damaged ones as required in your Perth home.
- When recoating your deck, don’t just do the areas that you think need it, recoat the whole timber decking area. You will find specific areas of your decking that are exposed to the Perth weather will require recoating sooner and more often than the areas that are covered.
Save yourself the struggle! The team at New Age Timber Floors are the perth floor sanding specialists, and we provide a deck oiling maintenance service that takes the inconvenience out of maintaining your timber decking.
For all your timber flooring needs contact New Age Timber floors today.